Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No pictures, arghhh...

I don't have any pictures of the first time William went to the pitching mound! So I will paint you one with these words...

A beautiful Sunday afternoon, we were watching a fall baseball game. The little kids were happily playing around, the sun was shining, and William's friend had joined us. The game was going well, we were behind, but the play was good and the team in good spirits! At the start of the last inning of the game our pitcher hit the batter with his pitch. While this sounds terrible, most of the time it is not. At this age (9-10) there is little heat and less control. No injury to report, just a walk down the baseline to first. The coach went out to the mound and called William in from first base, where he had been making beautiful plays all day. Causing many of the outs his team had recorded during the game. The coach now handed the ball to William and asked him to pitch! Bill and I both stood and almost ran onto the field to tell everyone that William had never pitched before, don't let him do this. We restrained ourselves! He sent a few pitches into the mitt of the catcher, a position he is normally in and loves. They looked alright, nothing steller, but no bouncing in front of the plate. The ump called "Batter-up" and my heart almost jumped out of my throat! As I stood glued to the fence, I prayed that he not hit the batter and watched my son pitch in his first game! The first batter did get a hit, but William sprung into action and made a quick out to first base. After a few trips to meet the catcher, carefully keeping the runner at 3rd, he pitched again and again. He looked good! And low and behold he struck out the batter to end the top of the inning!! I was so excited for him, so overwhelmed by his maturity in the situation, and shaking from the nerves...I forgot to take any pictures!

1 comments:

The Boisverts said...

NICELY told! And, NICE JOB, Mr. Pitcher! What an awesome milestone!