Thursday, November 13, 2008

Traveling...

As I am surrounded by the bomb that my house is after a trip I sit here and remember why. Our field trip to Boston was one for the books! With only a few weeks notice we were excited to accompany Bill to his class at the annual convention, this year in Boston. What an adventure we were about to have! I was excitedly planning and dreaming of what we could do and see each day for the 4 we would be in the city. Then only two days before we left I did the actual packing...hmmm.
Sunday we were pleased to have Daddy's company on our first field trip. His pick the N.E. Aquarium! I don't regularly discuss parking, as it is a necessity and often pretty mundane, BUT we found a swanky garage. Heated, clean, and a security check upon entering. And such a deal with validation! It deserved a mention as we began our trip, getting us started on the right foot in the urban setting we are not accustomed to. We spent the day owwwing and ahhhing over the amazing creatures God made a placed in the sea for us to enjoy. A pleasant lunch overlooking the harbor and an uneventful ride to the hotel.
Pleasantly surprised with the updated hotel, the roof deck with track and view of the city, and the helpfulness of the staff, we began to unpack and settle in. We again are put into a happy mood as we head over to the North End for Italian! We end up at the restaurant that Bill found for our anniversary trip to the city and again enjoy the authentic cuisine!
The night is beautiful! Crisp, cool, and pleasant!
With Bill headed off to class the kids and I hit the town running! We made it to the Science museum and were surprised when I asked for a teachers discount that with my homeschool card I would enter for free! That's right, FREE! Great start to another day :) What a day we had, good attitudes, learning, and loads of touching and button pressing for all! Making it back on the T with time for a run in the common and meeting Bill for dinner. We were near Chinatown and decided to walk and discover something easy to bring back for dinner in the room as Bill had a large amount of material to cover. As we walking into the chosen restaurant we were surprised to find that a friend had taken us to this very spot 8+ years earlier. More amazing, we remembered it!
Tuesday was much of the same, this time with a trip to the MFA. A real treat for me to see my oldest amazed by the art surrounding him and a passion for each genre! He wanted to stop and draw everything, to take it in, and remember each piece. I also took joy in remembering and sharing with my children the many visits I had taken to this very same place. Sharing the wealth of knowledge learned in these halls, looking at these same pieces. Amazing!
With Daddy cramming as much knowledge as possible into his head for the test on Wednesday, dinner/daddy time was short, but sweet on Tuesday night. A welcome movie was a treat before crashing.
Another day dawns and the troops are tired. We pack up the room before heading out one more time on this city adventure for us country mice! This time the Children's Museum. Did I mention that all the museums let teachers in for FREE?!! We spent the day running, playing, discovering in a world tailored for kids.
With another beautiful fall day outside we headed for the common one more time for a last fun in the park. A great treat we enjoyed each afternoon! The only thing to make it better was learning the news that Daddy had passed his test and it now a licenced fire inspector!!
We headed home and regaled out adventures for Daddy. Promising to take him to all the places we had been...next time!

0 comments: