this is the part where the binder came to life in the transformation around here...the very basic mission statement of our family needs to be written, then put into practical application. so this is the first bit of homework for those who are following along :) yup, homework! stop and think about what you want your house and home to be. first for your family, then as an offering to your friends and company.
here are some ideas, places to start...thank you to all the bloggers who are sharing and helping us all with this VERY IMPORTANT task!
http://simplemom.net/back-to-the-basics-create-a-family-mission-statement/
http://neverquiteperfect.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/household-notebook-family-mission-statement/
here is a practical example from i'm and organizing junkie...
My Housekeeping Mission Statement
To provide an inviting and peaceful
household environment, for my family and all that enter, that is
conducive to living simply, loving deeply and laughing abundantly. I
will make strides everyday to achieve this by practicing and teaching
good daily habits and routines along with effective organizational
skills. I will graciously and cheerfully serve my family and genuinely
enjoy my commitment to creating a home sanctuary that is above all else
pleasing to God.
so take sometime, talk it over with your husband, consider include your kids in the discussion. write it out and make it pretty (this always helps me!) it will be the first page of our binders. if you are not making a binder, that's ok, do this anyway and frame it, hang it on the fridge, share it with your family and work together to keep it!
now, a visual...all this cleaning is great, but let's see inside at how i am changing this to have the future look differently!
| all the periodicals will now go into these! |
| this basket collects the balls and toys around the living room! |
| this shelf houses craft items and the basket allows all the little pieces a place to collect! |
| inside the coffee table has always been storage, but never utilized...now it houses the old family videos and the basket with little kid toys for company! |
| now the school books and Bibles have a place! |
| ready for sharing a cup of coffee! |
| everything in it's place and everyone knows what that is, now we know where things go! |
share with me, have you been working on this in your head and heart? does a clean out and organize need to happen in your family? is this encouraging or overwhelming? stay tuned for more :)
3 comments:
SOOOOOO encouraging! I am looking around my disaster and thinking, How did this happen?" I love kthe mission statement idea and can't wait to do a binder. Love you!
Have you read Organized Simplicity by Simple Mom Tsh Oxenreider? We have Amazon Prime so I was able to snag the e-book for free a couple weeks ago. It's awesome and totally in line with what you're saying. It's not that a perfect house is the goal. The focus is on having a simple, efficient and happy home that helps you achieve your family goals. It's about having the wisdom to acknowledge that if we're not intentional in our daily habits we can end up with a clutter-filled, disorganized home that can actually hold us back and steal our attention away from the things that really matter. Also, I found some really cute quotes about homemaking that I'm putting on the cover of my binder, so I'm going to post them on your event wall in case anyone wants to steal that idea!
where did you get the idea for a binder? is there a tutorial or something I can reference? I hope you will display yours!
Post a Comment